Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thoughtful Thursdays: What Not To Say To A Friend?

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend."
 

Your friends are suppose to be the ones that you can count on.  True friends should have that shoulder that you can lean on.  Real friends are that voice of reason that doesn't tell you what you want to hear but actually tells you what they feel will help you.  In that special moment when you feel that your friend would say something that will make it all better, we hear things like this:

  • I told you so.
  • It took you long enough to figure it out.
  • I knew this was gonna happen.
  • You should have listened to me when I told you.
  • Too bad it took you forever to see what was in your face all along.
  • ANYTHING REMOTELY SIMILAR TO THE ABOVE!!!
Unfortunately, I have had the above phrases said to me and I can imagine that you have too.  Unfortunately and regretfully, I have said these things to others.  From my personal experience, the only thing that your friend needs is a hug or that shoulder to cry on.  Giving advice that your friend probably already knows or feels very bad about will not help the situation.

"Too late we learn, a man must hold his friend
Unjudged, accepted, trusted to the end."
- John Boyle O'Reilly 

QUESTION:  What type of friend are you?  Are you guilty of ever using those not-to-say phrases to a friend? Has anyone used those phrases to you?  If so, how did it make you feel?  PLEASE COMMENT IN THE COMMENT SECTION BELOW.