Sunday, October 10, 2010

Remember, Labels Are for Cans, Not People

...remember "labels are for cans, not people


Think of the familiar phrase: "Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you".  After witnessing the effects of verbal abuse both directly and indirectly, whomever thought of that phrase had no idea of what they were talking about!  Verbal abuse is just as damaging, if not more damaging, as physical abuse.  I have been hearing about various teens and adults committing suicide, bringing guns to schools, and killing people because of bullying and being verbally harassed.  It makes me angry.  Verbal abuse is not okay.  Words will hurt you.  Words may kill you or even get you killed.

"Bitch".  "Fag".  "Loser".  "Ignorant".  "Dumb".  The name calling can go on and on.  Judging, criticizing, taunting, name calling, abusive jokes, and threatening are all forms of verbal abuse.  This type of behavior is unacceptable.  Should it feel good to downgrade other people?  What are the advantages?  How can someone who downgrade others upgrade themselves?   These are just some of the questions that we should be asking ourselves.  It has nothing nothing to do with homosexuality, but everything to do with being a decent individual.  And I do want to emphasize, DECENT!


As a survivor of both domestic abuse and school bullying, I know for a fact that the words that you say can either build you up or tear you down. Growing up, I was both popular and unpopular.  In elementary school, I was a nerd.  I was very old-fashioned and shy.  Some of the kids would call me "teachers pet".  When I was high school, my first two years was the best.  I was on the cheer-leading team for a while, had some great friends, and was in the choir (the choir was considered cool back-in-the-day).  My last two years at a different high school, I didn't really socialize with anyone.  I didn't where $100 dollar gym shoes or all the brand name clothes.  There was this one girl who always taunted me in home room every day.  She always called me names, made me feel uncomfortable, and not want to go to school.  At one point, I hated going to school and feel into a deep depression.

Looking back, while I stayed studious and those other girls were focused on boys and being materialist, I have accomplished a lot in my life.  Over half of those female bullies became un-wed mothers before the age of 18 and dropped out of high school.  Most of those bullies never made it to college.  Some of them became strippers, hooked on drugs, or are dead some where.  

As an adult, I am more confident then who I am and who I chose to become.  Words don't effect me as much as it did back then.  However, I am very decisive and careful as to how I talk to other people.  Having profound confidence and being immature are two different things.  You can get your point across to other people without being disrespectful or harassing in nature.

KNOW YOUR WORTH!  
REMEMBER, LABELS ARE FOR CANS, NOT PEOPLE! 


If you are in danger, please use a safer computer, or call 911, your local hotline, or the U.S. National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224.

“If someone were to pay you 10 cents for every kind word you ever spoke and collect from you 5 cents for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor?” Unknown source

SHOW SUPPORT --PLEASE COMMENT
To Receive Postings and Updates, 
Please Enter Your E-Mail Address Below:


Delivered by FeedBurner