Wednesday, June 30, 2010

You'll Be Treated According To The Company You Keep

Reading time was two of my favorite times in grammar school.  Sitting in a circle and having the teacher read us a story is one of my most treasured past-times.  I loved hearing the stories that actually had a moral.  The stories are some in which I hope to share with my niece one day or my own children.  Besides the story about the boy who cried wolf, this is one of my favorite fables:

This story is called, "The Farmer and the Stork".

A Farmer set some traps in a field which he had lately sown with corn, in order to catch the Cranes that came to pick up the seeds. When he returned to look at his traps he found several cranes caught, and among them a Stork, which begged to be let go.  The Stork said, "You ought not to kill me: I am not a crane, but a Stork, as you can easily see by my feathers, and I am the most honest and harmless of birds." But the Farmer replied, "It's nothing to me what you are: I find you among these Cranes, who ruin my crops, and, like them, you shall suffer."
MORAL
If you choose bad companions no one will believe 
that you are anything but bad yourself.

The moral is very simple.  Be very careful of the company that you keep.  There are different paths that a follower will take.  One path leads to conflict, one path leads to tranquility.  One path leads to ignorance, one path leads to awareness.  However, there are only two types of leaders.  The one who leads the right way and the other who leads the wrong way.  

Have a mind of their own.  Have your own facts before you follow the crowd.  No facts equals ASSumptions.  Like the Stork that followed the Cranes, if you follow the wrong person, you will end up in a trap that you can't get out of.