Sunday, April 11, 2010

When You Find Peace Within Yourself...

"When you find peace within yourself, 
you become the kind of person that can find peace with others."

Do I worry?  Am I at peace within myself?  Am I content with the decisions that I make on a daily basis?  These are some of the questions that I used to ask myself way too often.  I have stopped asking these questions quite recently.  

There are multiple definitions of peace.  However, to me, peace is harmony in personal relations or freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions. Over the past few years, I have endured a lot of obstacles that have shakened my faith.  I went through a job change, relationship change, friends change, home change, and so many other changes.  Some of these changes happened all at once.  I went from being happy to feeling deeply depressed overnight.  I used to ask myself what would the world be without me in it.  Then...it happened.  It took me taking a step back, being quiet, and seeing things in a whole new perspective to develop some clarity.

I have always been better with giving people advice and helping others with their problems then my own.  One day I decided to start taking the advice that I so eloquently give, analyze my problems, and determine what to do to make me happy.  That is the main question:  What does it take to make you happy?  We often think about why we are so unhappy then what it actually takes to make you happy.  If took me a long time to learn that there is a difference.  

If we consider why we are unhappy, then we would end up playing a blame game and pity party.  However, if we determine what it takes to make us a peace, we are actually looking for ways to solve the problem.  I made that list.  I took some time and wrote down all the things that I needed to make myself at peace and happy.  Peacefulness and happiness is like peanut butter and jelly.  There can't be one without the other.
As long as breath flows within your body, there will be bills, enemies, liars, back-bitters, front-biters, and just plain evil people.  Yet once you find the inner peace, none of that will matter and it cannot touch you.  Make a list of what will make you peaceful.  If it is finding a better job, write it down.  If it is finding a better man or women, write that down.  After you write this down, thinking of it as your peaceful checklist.  This is something that you can look forward too.  Start putting your plan in action.  If you want a better, something, no matter what it is, are you taking the necessary steps to get it.  Once you start focusing on whatever it is that will make you at peace, than you will not have time for anything else.  You will not have time for the person that lied no you at work, the family member that is no longer talking to you for whatever reason, the person at work that is trying to take your position, or any other unpeaceful thing.

Click the title of this post to write a comment.  All commentors will automatically be entered into next months contest for a brand new I-POD.