Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What Does An Illegal Alien Look Like?


There are two sides to every story.  In this story, there are multiple sides.  There is the American side, the illegal immigrant side, the Democrat side, the Republican side, and the Tea Party side.  Due to the new Arizona Immigration Law, people are beginning to play dirty, opinions are heating up the social networks, the media is milking this, and the government is displaying a very "unAmerican" SIDE.


I had some downtime at work today.  This was the topic of discussion that came up on one of my friends wall.

***If I lose friends because of this, so be it. Comments on the Arizona law have started to cycle through my posts. I'll tell you why this law in Arizona IS necessary. I have started hearing that Texas is about to follow suit. NOTE: I do have to leave after posting this as I am running a little late. I will review ...comments (if any) when I return, So don't think I'm ignoring you. (READ COMMENTS)



Before, I responded.  I did some research on the language of the Arizona Immigration Law.  Based on my research, this law allows police to demand proof of citizenship so long as they have a "reasonable" suspicion.  What is reasonable?  The definition of reasonable is moderate, fair, within reason.  


Below are some of the quotes that was made on my Facebook friends status:

1.  "Once you enter this country illegally, its a crime"
2.   "Illegals do not pay taxes.  When you are undocumented, you don't pay taxes"
3.  "People protesting this law should be protesting President Obama and other states for not supporting it...People are so quick to cry racism"
4.  "I am tired of pulling up to my bank and not being able to understand what the...the teller is saying to me....I am tired of seeing all these individuals buy houses and brand new cars"
5.  "Get the hell out of my country so my people can be free and have jobs and not be forced to speak any other language but ENGLISH... And if they do become legal in the US then damnit, learn to speak ENGLISH!"


Of course, these comments really got me heated.  It started off as an intelligent, intellectual, adult conversation and ended into me being called an "educated" idiot. Though I agree with the premise of the law.  This means that I agree that people should be in America legally.  If people are illegal immigrants, then they should seek appropriate action to become an American citizen.  However, through all of this back and forth, no one can ask one very important question.  What does an immigrant look like?


After a lot of banter, someone said that immigrants are people who don't speak English.  They could be black, white, Latino, blue, or green.  One out of five Americans speak English.  There is absolutely no way that when you single-out a person cause there is "reasonable" suspicion that they are an immigrant that this cannot be deemed an opening for ethnic and racial discrimination.  Of course, most of the commentors disagreed with me.


Though I voted for President Barack Obama, I don't agree with some of his new policies.  In addition, I don't agree with Congress being so divisive.  The government should do whatever is in the best interest of America.  Saying no to whatever the Democrats through out or Republicans is not helping anyone.  Being able to compromise to prevent the danger of Americans civil liberties is necessary.



I don't know what the solution is.  I think that if companies were forced to look into the citizenship of its employees and prevent people who are unable to show proof of citizenship, will help with most of this problem.  I spent most of the day defending why I think the new Immigration Law is flawed.  However, I can't find a solution.  I just think that whatever happens shouldn't invade the civil liberties of the American people.  


Based on some of the comments that I have read on my other social network site, people don't mind being stopped and asked for their identification or proof of citizenship.  However, I strongly believe that some of those people never been stopped before because they looked like they could be from the wrong neighborhood.


When I was in grammar school and high school, I remember that I had to memorize the Preamble of the Constitution for the United States of America.



"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
Several years ago the Preamble meant a lot to me.  Now, perfect union, justice, tranquility, and all of that other stuff has washed away.  Is it the Presidents fault or our own?  When do the government and the American people start accepting responsibility for our country?  What do you think about the Arizona Immigrant Law?  WHAT DO AN IMMIGRANT LOOK LIKE?


Click the title of this page to post comments.