Thursday, May 21, 2009

What Does Sister Mean To You?




The dictionary defines sister as a sibling that shares one or more of the same parent. Someone asked me today why I call other people who were not related to me my sister. Therefore, I wanted to explain why.

I believe that a sister is a lifetime treasure. This is someone that you can laugh, cry, argue, and share your thoughts, dreams, disappointments, and goals. You may have a blood sister or a brother that is either ashamed of you, do not want to hang out with you, talk bad about you, or try to talk down to you all the time. Therefore, I have been lucky to find some sisters or brothers in my life that have given me the since of family and friendship.

A sister is not always perfect. They may have their downfalls, but so does everyone,. A sister is someone that supports you, doesn't make you feel bad, and is there to listen when you need someone to talk to. Everyone needs that one person that you can cry with, share your inner thoughts and fears with, and deal with life hardships. This makes that person priceless. A sister is someone who is there if you are, I do not know, in jail, going through a bad personal and financial time, or just there to listen.

"We are not born with all of our sisters, some we meet along the way. Perhaps she is the best friend who knows you better than you know yourself or is there for you even though you did not know you needed her. Maybe there is more than one. ...These are the best friends worthy of being called your sister."

I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.
Maya Angelou