Thursday, January 8, 2009

How Can A Mother Reach Her Child?

DEAR SON:

I have carried you for nine months and you are in your twenties now.
You now have a sweet and beautiful child.
I have raised you and took care of you the best I know how.
You are no longer at the nest and it has been some years now.
In every argument, you say how you are grown.
But yet, you have no job, no car, and no place of your own.

And yet, you with a girl that I consider a h**!
You constantly say you are a man and can handle your own.
Yet you are always, always, calling me...
Boy, I thought you were grown!
You love your girl, the one that is disrespectful.
Yet how come she is not paying your gas, giving you food, or giving you cable.
Your girl calls my beautiful grandchild all types of names,
however, you and her still continue to play your childish games.
What makes you a man?
Please let me know.
Is it cause you don't take responsibility and blame everyone around?
I raised you the best way I know how and now all my kids are grown, now I am going out-of-town!
I try to build you up and I raised you as well as I can.

NOW WHY DON'T YOU GROW UP AND FOR YOUR DAUGHTER BE A BETTER MAN!
poem by myundiary@gmail.com
***************************************

Langston Hughes'
Mother to Son

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Langston Hughes'
Mother to Son


Perhaps some of my readers can answer this question...what makes you a real man? What does the poems really mean? Can you relate? These are two very different letters from a mom to her son. How can a mother reach her child? Please read both poems and comment. Also, please follow my blog and win a chance to automatically enter next months contest. (PLEASE COMMENT!)